Friday, January 17, 2014

Resort Orientation: Memories, Movies, and Magic!

Yesterday was my resort orientation at Pop Century. We met at 9:30, which was such an unbelievable break from the 8:30s the past few days.

We had to meet at Cast Services Building B, which is shared by Pop Century and Art of Animation. Pop used to share with Caribbean Beach, but now they're in Cast Services Building A, right next door. This was my first time using my ID to gain access through a gate, so I'm sure I looked like a goon, waving my ID around until something happened.

When I went inside, I signed in, got my "Earning My Ears" ribbon, and they took my photo against a wall (for what, I don't know). Then I was guided into our classroom where we were given an overall introduction to Pop Century. It was extremely boring to me since I've stayed there so many times. And it was so awkward because everyone in the class was so unenthusiastic about being there. One girl literally kept her arms crossed and had a scowl on her face the entire day. I don't know what everyone's deal was, but it was quite unsettling.



Anyway. We played some silly "What's this place?" and "Where is this located?" kind of stuff. Then we took a tour of the resort, which was also kind of boring since, again, I've been there so many times. It really would have been cool to do all of this at a resort I didn't know much about.

I did get to see where I'll be clocking in when I start my on-the-job training, so that was good. And I was told where to park and everything.

Then we went back to the Cast Services building and went on our lunch break. Many of us went to get our costumes from Costuming during this time.

Mine. Is. Hideous.

There's no other way to describe it. It's the most unflattering, un-themed costume ever. It's just a plain, grey, skirted costume with a unisex maroon sweater for when it's cold. And I have to wear hosiery every day. Blaaaaarrrghh. It's so ugly. But whatever. I'm sure it could be even worse. Supposedly Disney is "taking a look" at Pop's costumes right now, so who knows if anything is going to change while I'm there or what any new costume would be like.

After that, I headed back over to Pop to get something to eat. I ended up picking up some Babycakes cupcakes and getting a build-your-own burrito (which was really good).




When I got back, I was met by a training coordinator who gave me my schedule for the next week and told me who my trainer would be. Then she told me that I needed to stay for a safety class and then do some e-learning activities in the lab.

The safety thing was just horrible. I mean, it's great information and all, but my goodness it was boring. Then my e-learning ended up being an hour-long session on chemical safety in the workplace. What chemicals am I going to be using at the front desk?! It was so annoying, because the other two girls working the front desk at Art of Animation were getting to learn all about Disney's Magical Express and I was learning about Safety Description Sheets. *sigh*

After I was finally done, I clocked out and headed home. Jon had Traditions today, so we decided to go to Epcot. Like I said in my previous post, my experiences in the parks the past two days will have to be talked about separately. So that's coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment