Saturday, September 28, 2013

Professional Internship Interview and Application Process

Yikes. I just had my first Professional Internship interview. Like many people, I found it hard to prepare for this since there is very little information available about the process.

So far, I have applied to the Park and Event Ticket Sales Internship and the Catering and Convention Services Internship. I was listed as "No longer in consideration" for the latter almost immediately after applying and had my interview for the former this morning.

First, there are some things you should be prepared for long before the application season even begins. All of the internships are different and require different materials throughout the process. But some things you may be asked for are:

- Resume (all)
- Cover letter
- College transcripts
- Portfolio

As a rule of thumb: If they don't ask for it, there is no need to provide it. Read the job listing very carefully. Make a note of the Application Deadline and the Materials Required. Some of the internships require a cover letter and some do not - you will find out during the application if you will be required to upload one, so be ready to write those.

I won't be able to apply to a few of the internships just because I haven't been able to figure out how to get electronic transcripts from my school. So definitely get all that figured out beforehand so you can start the application process when it opens. Additionally, if you will be applying to any type of creative role, go ahead and start working on an electronic portfolio well in advance so that it will be ready in time.

Here is the timeline for the two internships I applied for:

Park and Event Ticket Sales
9/9 - Applied
9/26 - Invited to schedule a phone screening
9/28 - First phone interview

Catering and Convention Services
9/26 - Applied
9/27 - No longer in consideration

The phone rang 8 minutes after my scheduled 11:15 interview time, at 11:23 AM. My interviewer introduced herself and explained that this would be different than the CP interview in that she would be typing all of my answers. So I shouldn't be worried about any silent pauses after my answers because it is just her finishing up typing. She also explained that, in this interview, when she asks a question, she is looking for me to answer the question and then go into detail explaining that answer and giving specific examples from my experiences.

Goodness, I don't think I did well at all. She talked very fast and it was a bit intimidating, but I also just wasn't prepared for the interview. I had to schedule it so soon after I got my e-mail and I really just wasn't prepared at all. You should be prepared to explain what you want to get out of this internship and what from your previous experience qualifies you for that particular role.

I don't think I was asked more than 5 or 6 questions before we went over the Disney look and my interviewer said "that was it" after TEN MINUTES! My interview only lasted ten minutes! I was prepared to make it last a bit longer, so I asked her a few questions.

I asked if Professional Interns were offered any educational courses or opportunities, similar to the College Program. She said that there weren't any, as most PI's are recent graduates or are working in a department or position directly related to their field of study. The CP courses are there to offer more relatable studies since most CP's aren't working in a field related to their major.

I also asked if she had any advice on what I could do to better qualify myself for a PI before applying in the spring (if I wasn't offered an internship this time around, of course!). She told me the best thing I could do is to network. I should talk to my leaders while on the College Program, try to get in contact with the Catering or Convention Directors at whatever resort I'm working at, and look for volunteer opportunities. I was surprised to learn about event volunteer opportunities, but she told me that it isn't "true" volunteering, since they are paid positions that can just be picked up by any current cast member. But Disney apprarantly lists these opportunities for events that they need extra help at, such as the RunDisney events. She said this would be a great way to meet people from different departments.

I then asked her how she started with the company (she did the CP and worked as a Jungle Cruise skipper!). After that, she was a DCP campus representative and then worked in the fashion industry in New York for a while. But she decided to come back to Disney and now works as a recruiter. She said that, while she doesn't get to have much guest interaction, she can walk through the parks and see cast members making people's days. So she gets the satisfaction in knowing that she might have hired that particular cast member! I thought that was a really cool viewpoint.

So, that was my interview. It kind of sucked, so I'm not going to hold my breath for an offer. But I am more than happy to start my career with Disney as a Concierge on the Disney College Program. I am beyond excited about my role and can't wait to get started! I'm also looking forward to being able to apply to the Alumni-Only Professional Internships in the next round. At least now I have an idea of what I'm getting into with the Professional Internship applications!

No comments:

Post a Comment